UNLEASHED, UNCUT, UNREAD



9.07.2005

A DC night.

Living in DC does afford some unique opportunities. After leaving work last night, I grabbed some indian food and walked about a mile to the Supreme Court building to file past Chief Justice Rehnquist's body as he lay in repose in the Great Hall. The crowd, as far as i could analyze, consisted mostly of Hill staffers congregated and socializing in small groups. Although the crowd didn't exude rowdiness, neither did they stand in silent mourning. I think by the time I arrived, more people were attending to drink in a bit of history than to lament the death of an American giant (regardless of your political sway, you can't deny Rehnquist's stamp on the current American political and social milieu). I would count myself mostly among the former and slighly among the latter. Here's a couple more pics that might be of interest. Actually, they're not particularly exciting, I'm gonna just say that straight up. Hey, let's see you file past a dead body ringed by secret service and make it more interesting. jerks.

11 comments:

intrigant said...

yeah.

Joe said...

R.I.P. The Honorable William Rehnquist.

Phil said...

I-i agree.
Joe-for various reasons, you should consider the priesthood.

Brad said...

all i know is that my William Rehnquist rookie card is going to put my future adopted mongolian boy "Murumbu" through college. stay gold ponyboy

Phil said...

fleer '72? that's unbelievable. I'll trade you two upper deck '87 scalias and a topps '99 o'connor...and you can have the bubble gum from the wrappers.

Anonymous said...

Do you just "happen" to carry your camera with you everywhere you go?

Phil said...

i actually implanted it in my retina. makes it a whole bunch easier, but i have to deal with unintended shots of my inner eyelid sometimes. plus, the flash function creeps people out.

Anonymous said...

And I thought living in NYC had its advantages....speaking of food = have you ever been to THE RIB PIT - in the bad part of town?

IS

Phil said...

no, but it sounds like i should. i love food in bad parts of of towns.

rhein said...

never been to DC, but i'm going next month- i can't wait.

and i love bad parts of town PERIOD, so long as i don't get hurt.

Phil said...

oh that's crazy. we should definitely do one of those fabled meet-people-you-only-know-from-on-line things and tell everyone we actually went through with it.