UNLEASHED, UNCUT, UNREAD



6.24.2005

the joys of humidity

So two people walked up to my cubicle this morning and told me outright that I look tired. What the hell! Although my week/month/life has been moderately insane lately, nothing of catastrophic import happened in the last day or two (although I did miss the Ted Leo show at the 9:30 Club…you can read my buddy Jake’s take on the show here) that might render me a tattered and torn person. Not that I really care if people at work think I look tired-I’ve been known to sport the same shirt two, maybe three times in a five day work week…hence,I don’t have much of an image to maintain-but I found it odd that two different people said the same unusual thing, completely unsolicited (a conspiracy, perhaps?).
Curiosity piqued, I stole away to my favorite bathroom, slightly off the beaten track, where many a crossword puzzle has fallen victim to my lack of concentration on work-oriented tasks. The visage facing me in the mirror made that kid in The Ring look like Winnie the Pooh. It wasn’t that I looked tired (atleast in my unbiased opinion), it was that I had bangs! Oh god, memories of my sister’s seventh grade picture came flooding back and pangs of forgotten buckteeth assaulted my senses. They were so perfect too, as though I’d developed an uncanny proficiency with the curling iron after years of dedicated study.
So is it the bangs that made me look tired? I’m thinking so. I’m guessing the first think people think about when they see bangs is a strung out rocker chick in a def leppard video. They did tend to look tired. But they looked damn good in their strung out glory. So although nobody appended the “…but you look good” to their “Phil, you look tired”, I’m pretty sure they were thinking it. I do cut a striking figure in neon pink.

On another note, it’s funny to watch congressmen (and an occasional congresswoman) play baseball. I hope they had plenty of medical personnel available, because I think the arms might leave the sockets before the ball leaves the hand.

Finally, I don't think I have a sizeable cadre of tech savvy bloggers reading my blog, but if anybody knows how to work with the blogger comments coding, please let me know. i've been trying to make my comment section organized in threads for awhile, but i can't figure out how to access the html. Any ideas?

5 comments:

Crew Koos said...

hOW DID YOU MANAGED TO FIND MY BLOG??? i DUNNOT HAVE ANY IDEA BUT THANX FOR THE VISIT !!

Phil said...

maybe i'm going crazy, but i think you commented on my last entry about the audio clip. i'm probably crazy. i wish i spoke french so i could dig more of your blog.

Anonymous said...

Heh- you had bangs! Now you know how humidity affects women's hair!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can institute threading in the comments with blogger.

Phil said...

judy-i hear you cluckin' like a chicken.
jake-yeah, i don't think so either. enough to drive a brutha batty.