UNLEASHED, UNCUT, UNREAD



4.29.2005

A word about words

A previous blog entry by yours truly entitled “The (wo)man’s bringin’ me down” has received some scathing reviews in the press recently. I comfort myself by noting that the number of positive replies far outnumbers those of a negative slant, however, the topic bears such gravity that I deem it necessary to offer a short note of explanation.

Let it be trumpeted from the mountaintop, let it be proclaimed from the blessed pulpit, let it be branded into the flesh of the flocks: POP, not soda was not equating his situation with that of the oppressed groups when discussing profiling. Instead, and I’ll let the words of one of my favorite anonymous jackass contributors speak here (I try to incorporate you guys as much as possible), I was ….

Waxing philosophically and lyrically about [my] own oppression to draw attention to real profiling.

Now I cannot claim to have waxed either philosophically or lyrically, perhaps museumly, but the latter part of this statement is what I’m interested in. Although I was, and will continue to make light of the evil security guard downstairs, it does make you a little uncomfortable to be singled out like that. I figure if such a trivial situation raises my hackles, I can’t imagine how people who deal with exponentially worse cases of profiling must feel. Moral of the story: I was trying to open a discussion of an important issue by mocking my own ridiculous sensibilities.

I understand that an anonymous electronic voice isn’t automatically given the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore, I have no problem clarifying a position that some deem questionable. However, I have faith that with time, the three adoring fans that read this blog will develop the ability to discern between sarcasm and a legitimate position. It won’t happen overnight, and I’m comfortable dealing with the bumps in the road that the will ultimately lead to such a point. To facilitate such a development, I encourage anyone who has a reaction to one of my entries, be it positive or negative, to write me a comment. That dialogue is my aim.

Don't get fake on me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey phil,
so beau tipped me off about your blog and i've been reading it of late. 54% cuz it's a neat blog, 46% cuz i'm unemployed again and therefore have lots n lots of time to do things like read people's blogs. In regards to your badge troubles, I can relate. I was recently fired from a job for not wearing my badge where it's visible. It was absolutely ridiculous. The last time I was hassled about wearing my badge before being fired, she literally said "hey will, where's your badge?". Isn't that just like saying "hey will, what's your name?".

Phil said...

coppedge cabana,
i'll happily take 54%, it's more than i deserve. coming from someone who's had his fair share since college ended, unemployment's lame. what's lamer is what got you there. they can't handle you man. you drop a mental maelstrom on their maimed mediocrity. don't ever forget it. see you in June in p-town?