UNLEASHED, UNCUT, UNREAD



4.14.2005

Gone, but not forgotten

I remember the last look you shot my way,
That filthy, fateful April day,
When the affair had run its course,
Emotions spent, aside from remorse.

Memories swarm my swollen head,
Sometimes I need four cylinders back in my bed,
Happiness a memory, dream, mirage,
While you luxuriate in a newfound garage.

I’m sorry I couldn’t offer you that,
I’m sorry for our latest spat,
When I caked your innards with Cherry coke,
Laughed, and let a mean friend smoke.

Let us never speak of your driver’s seat,
And the toxic remnants of Arizona heat,
That stripped you of your innocent youth,
Now akin to a truckstop diner’s booth.

You said your love was unrequited,
I scoped a Jetta, you felt slighted,
You cranked the speaker up to eleven,
Which is a number four more than seven…

…Atleast 20 decibels bumpin’ my rhymes,
Still, I was less than understanding at times,
Like after inundating the dashboard with parking tickets,
I punished you by careening through raspberry thickets.

But when I idiotically hit the 4-wheel up the rockies,
You still let me wear my Jenny-from-the-block tees.
You elicited nothing but meager sighs,
While I tarnished you with McDonald’s fries.

I treated you like Regular, when you were Supreme
Ignored when you’d putter, cough, or steam,
You asked for nothing, save an oil change,
But that came around the 10,000 mile range.

When we first met I thought you instant danger,
All you could talk about was your six disk changer,
But your selflessness ceaselessly defied words,
As you offered a lavatory for neighborhood birds.

I knew before me you’d been with another,
But Jesus, why did it have to be my own brother,
Couldn’t you have told me that before,
It wasn’t a piece of ancient folklore.

Don’t you dare be callin’ me a no-good hater,
For you I’d whoop ass like the Terminator,
I took you to Texas, Cali, and Toronto,
You best be recanting, I mean pronto

I’m happier now riding the Metro,
Not dishing out for the golden petro,
I just needed more, Shaggin’ Wagon,
Shaggin’ was naggin’, but sadly laggin’.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I go gently into the night will you write me such an ode?